Wednesday, June 23, 2010


Award-winning author DiAnn Mills launched her career in 1998 with the publication of her first book. Currently she has fifty books in print and has sold over 1.5 million copies.

DiAnn believes her readers should “Expect an Adventure.” She is a fiction writer who combines an adventuresome spirit with unforgettable characters to create action-packed novels.

Six of her titles have appeared on the CBA Bestseller List. Three of her books have won the distinction of Best Historical of the Year by Heartsong Presents. Five of her books have won placements through American Christian Fiction Writer’s Book of the Year Awards 2003 – 2008, and she is the recipient of the Inspirational Reader’s Choice award for 2005 and 2007. She was a Christy Awards finalist in 2008 and 2010.

DiAnn is a founding board member for American Christian Fiction Writers, a member of Inspirational Writers Alive, Romance Writers of America’s Faith, Hope and Love, and Advanced Writers and Speakers Association. She speaks to various groups and teaches writing workshops around the country. DiAnn is also the Craftsman Mentor for Jerry B. Jenkins Christian Writer’s Guild.

She and her husband live in sunny Houston, Texas. They have four adult sons and are active members of Metropolitan Baptist Church.

Website: http://www.diannmills.com/

When did you decide to be a writer?

I’m not sure I ever made that decision. It was always a part of me, like breathing.

At what point did you stop juggling suggestions and critiques and trust yourself (as a writer)?

Hmm. I have critique partners who offer excellent suggestions, but the bottom line is the writing project is mine, and I have to live with the final story.

Are you a disciplined writer or do you just write when you feel like it?

I’m so disciplined that I can be disgusting. :) I have a word count per day, and I stick to it until it’s finished.

What kind of activities to you like to do that help you relax and step away from your deadlines for a bit?

Gardening, cooking, spending time with family and friends, shopping :)

What is your favorite novel and what made it special?

Little Women. The family values and how the characters supported each other encouraged me to be a better person. The characterization in the whole series is outstanding.

How do you think reading the work of others helps you as a writer?

I can appreciate style and voice. If I see something exceptional, I’ll highlight it then dissect it later to figure out the technique.
And I like to be entertained by a good story!

Tell us a little about your latest release:

A Woman Called Sage is set in the Colorado Rockies in the 1880s. The heroine is a bounty hunter who is also part Ute. She witnessed her husband murdered and is out to find the men who ended his life. What I like about Sage is that she’s not afraid to do a man’s job, but she’s also all woman. A little bit about Sage is she loves animals, even has a pet hawk.

Where did you get your inspiration for A Woman Called Sage?

While hiking over the Colorado Rockies, drinking in the beauty of the mountains: the plants, flowers, and wildlife, Sage’s story began to form. The “what-ifs” began to roll before we made it back to our car. Later we stopped at the tourist center at the foot of the Rockies, and I found books about the area.

Which character is most like you?

Not sure. I try to avoid having characters with some of the same traits as mine. That could be scary.

Who is your favorite character and why?

Leah Timmons. She’s spunky and has to make a choice to either be strong or give up.

Did you know how A Woman Called Sage would turn out? Were you surprised by any of the plot twists or characters?

Yes, I knew how it would end, but I was surprised at the characters who showed up!

What is the main thing you hope readers remember from this story?

The world needs strong women who aren’t afraid to tackle the odds and give God the glory.

What kinds of things have you done to market this book? Have you found anything that works particularly well?

LOL I’ve done lots of things. Fortunately between my publisher’s publicist and my personal publicist, many exciting things have happened. I will say that a new and big project was to mail book flyers to public libraries in the states where my books sell the best. My best advice for writers seeking to promote their work is to remember that relationships with the readers is vital. It’s about them, not us.

Tell us what new projects you’re working on.

Pursuit of Justice, 3rd book in the Call of Duty series will be released in October 2010.

The Fire in Ember, a sequel to A Woman Called Sage will be released in January 2011.

And I’m finishing up another historical set in the high desert of New Mexico.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

I mentioned this above, but the writing ministry is not about us. It’s about reaching readers with a message.

1. Write everyday
2. Read in the genre you want to write
3. Pray about your writing
4. Get involved in a good writer’s group - and participate
5. Whatever you learn about the craft, share it with someone else.

I recommend Jerry Jenkins Christian Writers Guild for learning the craft. http://www.christianwritersguild.com/.

And you can find me at http://www.diannmills.com/ and sign up for my newsletter
My facebook fan page is http://www.facebook.com/pages/DiAnn-Mills/43084945210?ref=ts

Thanks so much!

DiAnn
.
Want more? Be sure to stop by The Borrowed Book on Thursday for an excerpt from A Woman Called Sage by DiAnn Mills!

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry