Sunday, August 8, 2010

Max is a jealous dog.

No matter how much time and attention I give him, it’s never enough. If I’m on the phone, he sits at me feet and whines. If I’m on the computer, he nudges my hands with his cold little nose until I’m forced to either pet him or turn him out of the room. In which case, he sits at the door and scratches. If I pet Newly. . .heaven forbid I should pet Newly in Max’s presence. It absolutely drives him crazy to think that my love could be split between the two of them. I’m just grateful he likes the kids and I haven’t had to choose .

But all that clamoring for my attention got me thinking. The Lord is a jealous God. He flat out said it.

“You shall have no other gods before me.”

And yet, I do. At home, in the office, at play, God has not always been first in my life, even though He deserves all of my love, honor, and attention. I have allowed the god of sports, the god of wealth, the god of children. . .yes, children, to come before Him, and the list goes on.

Forgive me, Father, for letting other things come before You. Help me, oh Lord, to prioritize, and to keep You first in all things. May I always love You most.

Amen.

Exodus 20:1-6 (New International Version)

The Ten Commandments

1 And God spoke all these words:

2 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

3 "You shall have no other gods before me.

4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand {generations} of those who love me and keep my commandments.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry