Monday, May 9, 2011

I am officially home for the summer, and I am so excited for extra reading time! Today I thought it would be fun to discuss what we're reading and what we love about fiction. I know this is far from an original blog post topic, but I think it's a popular one nonetheless. ;)

I recently finished A Matter of Character by Robin Lee Hatcher--the third book in "The Sisters of Bethlehem Springs" series. As much as I loved Fit to Be Tied (the second book in the series), I think this one just might be my favorite!

With a very relatable heroine, a conflicted hero to make your tummy flutter, and some interesting twists to a sweet story, this book turned out to be a quick and satisfying read! Plus, I just love how the title was explored as a theme throughout the book, looking at what character really is and what it means to live out a godly character. As the heroine is a novelist/writer, I found that some of her internal struggles were ones I could understand, especially the question as to whether one should write for pure entertainment or to convey the truth. Very enjoyable book!

Up next on my reading list is A Heart Divided by Kathleen Morgan and Pompeii: City on Fire by T.L. Higley. (Can I just say that I love being able to promote Christian fiction and get free books in the process? It's definitely a win-win situation! If you have a blog, there are a lot of great review programs out there! If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment and I'd be happy to help as best I can!)

Anyway, here's the blurb from Revell for A Heart Divided, which is now available:

"When fate brings them together, they must choose between family ties and love.

The Caldwells and Wainwrights have been feuding for decades. Still, Sarah Caldwell has misgivings when her father pressures her into distracting a ranch hand while he and her brothers rob the Wainwright place. When it becomes clear that hand is actually Cord Wainwright, heir of the Wainwright holdings, Sarah realizes things have gone too far.

As the feud boils over, Cord and Sarah make a most inconvenient discovery--they just might be falling in love. Can they betray their families to see where this attraction leads? Or will their families betray them?

Against the beautiful and wild backdrop of the Rocky Mountains in 1878 comes this sweeping saga of romance, betrayal, and forgiveness from beloved author Kathleen Morgan."

It certainly sounds wonderful!

And as for Pompeii: City on Fire, I am super excited to read this one! I just love T.L. Higley's work--she certainly knows how to write fascinating historical romance, in my opinion! Here's the blurb from Amazon.com for her latest book, which is releasing next month (June 2011):

"Pompeii, a city that's many things to many people. For Cato, it's the perfect escape from a failed political career in Rome. A place to start again, become a winemaker. But when a corrupt politician wrongfully jails Cato's sister, he must oust the man from power to save her.

For Ariella, Pompeii is a means to an end. As a young Jew, she escaped the fall of Jerusalem only to endure slavery to a cruel Roman general. She ends up in Pompeii, disguised as a young man and sold into a gladiator troupe. Her anger fuels her to fight well, hoping to win the arena crowds and reveal her gender at the perfect time. Perhaps then she will win true freedom.

But evil creeps through the streets of Pompeii. Political corruption, religious persecution, and family peril threaten to destroy Ariella and Cato, who are thrown together in the battle to survive. As Vesuvius churns with deadly intent, the two must bridge their differences to save the lives of those they love, before the fiery ash buries Pompeii, leaving the city lost to the world."

Also, be looking for my reviews of Undercurrent by Michelle Griep (a Viking, time-travel, historical romance book) and God's Shelter for Your Storm by Sheila Walsh (a devotional book) in the coming weeks here on the BB!

So, what are you reading right now? And out of curiosity, what do you as a reader look for in the fiction you read? Do you mostly read for entertainment, or do you like fiction with a message/moral?

Happy reading!

4 comments :

  1. YAY! So glad your officially home and with your sweet family :) They must have missed you something terrible! And you have some great books to look forward to, girl! I think I might start A Heart Divided next? Hmmm... maybe I'll wait for your review first... ;)

    Right now I'm reading The Cross & the Switchblade by David Wilkerson and WOW, it is POWERFUL!! And, you know better than most that I love for my fiction to have a message to it! :) Yes, of course I want a sweet romance and close friendships but when an author can incorporate God's Word (well and naturally) in their story, I'll be a reader for life! Mostly I want a fiction book that will touch every level of my heart :)

    Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,

    I loved seeing your comments on my blog (and here) today! :D Thank you for your kind words, my friend! I am definitely glad to be home. :)

    And oh, don't wait for my review!! I finished A Heart Divided yesterday, and I loved it!! My review will go up on my blog next week. :)

    I'm so glad you're enjoying such a moving book right now! And I'm super glad to hear that, dear friend. :) I'm kind of in a love-hate relationship with my thoughts on my writing right now, and some encouraging words (even inadvertently) are much appreciated. ;) I'll have to e-mail you soon!

    Anyway, thank you for stopping by!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amber,

    I finally found my way over here to cheer on your review of A Matter of Character. I loved that book too -- the whole series in fact. But the heroine's wrestle with what she should write was really thought-provoking, wasn't it?

    Right now I'm reading Mary Connealy's Deep Trouble and howling my way through it. It is sooo funny. I love Mary's humour-laced angst.

    I definitely read to be entertained...and as an escape and to fire up my imagination and because I'd go mad if left to my own devices for too long. :-)

    Since converting to inspirational fiction, I am stunned, gobsmacked, and astounded by how much a message or moral touches me. Not the preachy kind, but the down home, sitting across the table over a cup of tea girlfriend kind of revelations that have truly helped me grow closer to the Lord and helped me figure myself out too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kav,

    So glad you could stop on by! I generally post on this blog between 2 and 4 Mondays a month. :)

    Anyway, I thought A Matter of Character really was thought-provoking. It's a great book!

    Deep Trouble sounds fabulous, just like Mary's other books! ;) Her writing is definitely fun to read!

    And I agree completely with your reasons for reading--both to be entertained and to be moved in a non-preach way. :) You put it so well!! That's the kind of book I want to write--the kind that's difficult to put down but also encourages the readers and reminds them of a truth to hold onto. :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry