Tuesday, June 24, 2014

I recall a vocal coach remarking that as a singer part of her was continuously thinking of, preparing to, or actually singing. The same holds true for me as a writer. In my mind, I’m always writing. I’ve dabbled in many of the arts—painting, sculpture, singing, photography, and dance, but only writing fiction has grabbed hold of me and won’t let go. Not that I want it to. I love the English language and writing is my greatest pleasure!

I’ve always had what some grown-ups call an overly active imagination and I continue to play make-believe. As I navigate my day I find myself pondering new ideas for novels or musing over a blog piece I need to write. Tackling the mundane duties of life, in the grocery store, I might notice a couple either infatuated with each other or arguing, and create a storyline to incorporate them. While weeding in my garden or doing laundry, ideas transport me from my ho-hum chores and convey me to exotic locations where I meet fascinating fictional people of my making. Writing in my head makes all activities fun.

I love to read fiction in bed at night. My eyes examine each sentence with curiosity and admiration if I’ve discovered an accomplished author or characters who have caught my fancy. Delving into non-fiction, I might glean knowledge I’ll use later, including Biblical passages or a verse that hits home. I underline and circle words and sentences, jot notes in the margin, and sometimes turn around and reread an entire novel, using it as a textbook. I am always striving to improve my craft. 

My written stories, with all their twists and turns, continue to meander through my brain, even after the final edit and my novel has been published by David C. Cook, so there’s no going back. The characters of my recent novel Forever Amish, the third in The Legacy of Lancaster Trilogy, travel with me as dear companions. Sometimes I must remind myself that it's time to move on and let my readers meet them and evaluate what I hope is a captivating and unique story.           

Author Kate Lloyd, a native of Baltimore, spends time with family and friends in Lancaster County, PA, the inspiration for her bestselling novels Leaving Lancaster and Pennsylvania Patchwork. Forever Amish, the third novel in the Legacy of Lancaster Trilogy, released June 5th, 2014.

She and her husband live in the Pacific Northwest, the setting for Kate’s first novel, A Portrait of Marguerite. Kate studied art and art history in college. She’s worked a variety of jobs, including car salesman and restaurateur.

Learn more about Kate Lloyd on her website: www.katelloyd.net and her blog: http://katelloyd.net/blog/ 

Like her on Facebook: www.facebook.com/katelloydbooks 


Follower her on Twitter: @KateLloydAuthor and Pinterest: @KateLloydAuthor

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Newsletter Subscribe

Followers

Categories

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Historical Romantic Suspense

Historical Romance

Comments

Comments

Popular Posts

Guest Registry